Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Classes

Today was my second day of classes. I was placed in the advanced Spanish class, which means lots of new vocabulary and fast speech, but I'm excited for the challenge and the opportunity. We start Spanish class at 8 and go until noon, so it is an intensive class. I am taking the Spanish for Heath Professionals course, which is exciting for me because it is something that will be very practical for a career in medicine.

The other courses I am taking are Tropical Marine Biology and Costa Rican Health Care/Tropical Diseases.

It has been very fun to get to know the other students in the program, who are from all over the U.S. I've also really enjoyed finding good places to hang out and eat. One of my favorites is this urban cafe called La Musa Confusa. "The Confused Muse." They have chai tea and red velvet cupcakes! :) And delicious pineapple smoothies.

Here is the house I am living in:



An interesting fact about the Costa Rican sense of personal space: In an hour, Costa Ricans touch each other an average of 1 time every 20 seconds! The average for England is 0 times per hour. Try touching someone every 20 seconds. It feels so strange! But then again, why don't we touch each other more? I like the sense of community here. People you don't know aren't necessarily strangers, but fellow Costa Ricans. I love it here in Costa Rica!

P.S. Salsa and Merengue classes are fun. :)

Spanish is getting easier and feeling more natural already.

3 comments:

  1. Ciao bella! I love the comparison about touching people, it is like that in Italy too. People here are much more comfortable touching each other, which I love! There is a reason that babies and the elderly that aren't touched enough tend to pass away...sad. I am so excited for your semester in Costa Rica! Have an amazing time! Pura Vida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now aren't you glad that we got a chance to practice meringue and salsa during our "Zumba" sessions! Alison, I love reading your blog and the positive attitude that you bring to what challenges you. I would definitely by so much personal contact though what choice do you have but to adjust. Otherwise, one may go off the deep end. I'm thrilled that you have a guitar to play. I bet that it's even more special to the others that get to hear your AWESOME music.
    Abrazos mi amor.

    ReplyDelete